Download AICCM’s After a Flood Brochure [PDF file – 559.27 KB] to find out what you can do to salvage water damaged possessions.
All AICCM information sheets are available for download – so go ahead and print, copy and circulate!
These resources cover a variety instructions for dealing with water-damaged materials.
- Caring for collections: Disasters Part 1. How to recover a flood damaged collection – State Library of Queensland
- Caring for collections: Disasters Part 2: How to salvage your water damaged collection – State Library of Queensland
- How do I salvage flood-damaged records? – National Archives of Australia
- Salvaging water-damaged collections [PDF File – 376 KB] State Library of Queensland
- Recovering audio-visual treasures from flood damage – National Film & Sound Archive
- ‘how to’ salvage water-damaged materials – Preservation Australia’s YouTube channel
- How to protect your home from flood damage – Redfin USA
- Flooding – Chicora Foundation, USA
- Emergency Drying Procedures for Water Damaged Collections – The Library of Congress (USA)
- Tips for the Care of Water-Damaged Family Valuables and Heirlooms – Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Reclaiming Precious Heirlooms From Flood Waters – Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Dealing with Mold and Mildew [PDF File – 213 KB] – Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
The National Park Service (USA) publish a series of Conserve-o-grams. These help sheets are object or material specific and focus on salvaging water-damaged collections.
- Emergency Treatment For Water-Soaked Furniture And Wooden Objects [PDF File – 992 KB]
- Salvage At A Glance, Part I: Paper Based Collections [PDF File – 184 KB]
- Salvage At A Glance, Part II: Non-Paper Based Archival Collections [PDF File – 195 KB]
- Salvage At A Glance Part III: Object Collections [PDF File – 141 KB]
- Salvage At A Glance Part IV: Natural History Collections [PDF File – 162 KB]
- Salvage At A Glance Part V: Textiles [PDF File – 123 KB]
- Health And Safety Hazards Arising From Floods [PDF File – 174 KB]