Student Conservators at Melbourne (SC@M) is the association for students studying at the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation (GCCMC) at The University of Melbourne.
The past year has been very busy for the current SC@M Committee. We organised a number of professional networking and social events, and hosted presentations about work currently being undertaken in the conservation field. These provided members of SC@M with the opportunity to learn more about conservation and to network with more established conservation professionals.
Just some of the events SC@M held this year included:
- Elle Vallier and Jasper Coleman speaking about undertaking internships in indigenous communities, and conserving ochre paints
- Ren Gregoric discussing community engagement projects, in particular the Ghost Signs project in Port Phillip
- Caroline Kyi gave a presentation about the conservation of the Keith Haring Mural in Collingwood.
- Kim Goldsmith gave a presentation about her experience working with the collections at Birmingham University as the recipient of the 2015 International Museums and Collections Award.
- SC@M provided tours of the new labs for the Open House Melbourne event, giving members of the public the chance to see our new state-of-the-art facility.
This week the SC@M Annual General Meeting will be held at the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation. This will provide members of the group with the opportunity to voice their opinions about the future of the association as well as elect new committee members.
The outgoing committee (Irene Finkelde, Sally Kilby, Pam Soriano, Zora Sanders, Shannon Klaassen and Vanessa Lau) wish the new committee all the best with the future ventures for the group, and we are excited to see what new perspectives they will bring to the field of conservation.
Irene Finkelde (SC@M President 2015-2016)