VPS 4.1: $91,418 per annum + 11% superannuation
Full Time, Fixed Term for 3 years
Closing date for applications: 5pm on 24 October 2023
The National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) is seeking a Conservator, Objects, to provide specialist services for the care and conservation of a wide range of objects in the collection of the NGV.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be responsible for undertaking routine and complex conservation treatments of a wide range of objects in the collection of the NGV according to the highest technical and ethical standards. Other responsibilities include:
· Undertaking technical examinations, writing condition reports, devising treatment proposals and developing technical data
· Managing and overseeing aspects of the objects work program in consultation with the Senior Conservator and participating in the successful delivery of programs (exhibitions, changeovers, loans and new acquisitions)
· Implementing preventive conservation projects to ensure the safekeeping and preservation of the objects in the NGV collection.
· Providing advice to NGV Senior Management, Curatorial staff and key stakeholders assisting with loan requests, proposed acquisitions and development of conservation policy and procedures relating to objects.
· Initiating research into the materials and methods used in the manufacture of objects as well as conservation materials and techniques for the preservation or conservation of these items. Maintaining an active role in the section’s ongoing commitments to technical research including upkeep of facilities.
To be successful, you will have a tertiary qualification in conservation specialising in the treatment of objects with a special expertise in a sub-specialty or equivalent experience. This will be coupled with extensive and wide-ranging experience in the complex treatment of unique and irreplaceable objects. You will have sound knowledge of the structure, history, technology, deterioration and treatment of objects, paired with experience in the analysis of component materials of a wide range of objects and their accessories. You have proven experience in material research and analysis and the publishing and presenting of professional content to audiences, including recent research and publications.
You can demonstrate the ability to supervise, adapt and develop specialist treatments according to the needs of particular objects. You can train and provide guidance to staff and volunteers. You have knowledge of relevant OH&S practices and procedures and an understanding of the history of art and styles. A highly motivated person with demonstrable drive, energy in the execution of their work and the ability to prioritise workloads and sound organisational skills is essential.
Professional membership of AICCM would be highly regarded.
HOW TO APPLY
For full application details and a copy of the role statement, please refer to our website https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/about/people-and-careers/join-the-team/.
Applications close at 5pm on 24 October 2023.