The National Library of Australia is the custodian of a rich collection reflecting the people and culture that shape Australia and Australians.
The Library is seeking to fill the role of Conservation Officer within the Collection Care Section. The Conservation Officer will be part of the team that facilitates access to the Library’s collection through strategically focused preservation actions and will work across a range of work priorities including:
- the annual prioritised treatment program, including estimating treatment timeframes, surveying collections and undertaking conservation
- the Library’s exhibitions and loans program, including the preparation and installation of objects for display and/or loan.
- the strategic preventive program, including environmental monitoring, pest checking and incident response, and
- liaising with Library staff on a broad range of preservation issues including providing handling and use training and advice on storage
and packaging requirements.
Successful applicants will:
- be able to schedule, prioritise and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- work to exacting timeframes and schedules.
- have experience and knowledge of conservation treatment skills and methods.
- have the strong stakeholder engagement and communication skills.
- a clear ability to work within a team of conservation professionals on a diverse national collection.
Role requirements –
Qualifications in cultural heritage conservation and hands-on experience of the treatment of library and archival collections.
How to apply – Applications are to be submitted through the Library’s online e-recruitment system. Applicants must provide a
statement of claims in 600 words or less outlining qualifications, skills and experience as they relate to the position.
This role is being advertised as part of a wider APS4 recruitment process. To access the candidate information pack and the role description please go here, alternatively go directly to the Jobs at the Library section on the NLA website and search for APS 4 Various Positions – Conservation Officer role description.
We encourage all those interested to apply for this position. This is an exciting time to be part of the Library’s Collection Care team as we develop our newly redesigned team and look to new ways to care for this exciting and diverse national collection.