Usually used to describe a thin layer of paint that is becoming detached from a surface and curling back on itself. May also be used to describe the appearance of veneered surfaces that are delaminating.

The emulsion layer of this photograph has begun to peel away from the support. Photo courtesy of Alice Cannon.