Contributions to the 5th AICCM Book, Paper and Photographic Materials Symposium. Editors: Prue McKay and Alana Treasure. Canberra, ACT: AICCM (Inc.), 2008.
As a result of recent collection movement and expansion, the still negative and motion picture collections housed in the State Library of Queensland’s cold storage vault system had become disorganised and inaccessible. When material was removed from the vaults to allow for an upgrade of the plant room and construction of a conditioning room, the perfect opportunity to reorganise the collections arose. A joint project involving staff from Conservation and the Heritage Collections g Original Materials unit was carried out. The project involved:
- Transportation of collections between vaults
- Identification and condition checking of collections
- Separation of stable and unstable cellulose acetate and nitrate films into appropriately separate vaults
- Creation or the update of collection records including manual cataloguing and location details
- Rehousing in standard archival enclosures