What we do
Our Digital and Audio-Visual Heritage Special Interest Group (Electron) aims to:
Foster and facilitate a forum for professional discourse, encouraging cooperation to share skills and expertise around the conservation and preservation of digital and audiovisual cultural materials.
Develop and disseminate knowledge, information and understanding of evolving best practice in the management of digital and audiovisual cultural materials.
Build and grow networks with allied professions in the digital and audiovisual industries.
Born-digital and digitised materials such as still images, sound and moving image or video recordings and digital, interactive, networked and web-based artworks present unique conservation challenges. Managing and preserving these objects is an important task for those working in the GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museum) sector.
The underlying principles are the same as in traditional conservation, the nature of audiovisual and digital materials means conservators and preservation staff focus on the content and function of a work, rather than on the materials that make up the work.
Upcoming conferences and events
- SOIMA International Course on Sustaining Sound and Image Collections, 9 - 23 July 2017, Accra, Ghana
- Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group (PASIG) 2017 Conference, 11 - 13 September 2017, Oxford, United Kingdom (hosted by Digital Preservation at Oxford and Cambridge, UK)
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA) 2017 Conference, 17 - 22 September 2017, Berlin, Germany
- iPres 2017, International Conference on Digital Preservation, 25 - 29 September 2017, Kyoto Japan - Call for Contributions Deadline: 10 March 2017
Need more information?
The Electron convenors are:
- Stuart Fuller – Artlab
- Somaya Langley – Cambridge University, UK
- Gerald Preiss – Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
Email the convenors
Want to join the discussion? Sign up to the Electron email list
Guides and Services
Archives and Collections
Co-convened the Symposium with the AICCM Objects Special Interest Group
Play it Forward, Sustainability in a Time of Rapid Change - Wednesday 18th - Fri 20th November 2015
Electron Co-Presenting the Technical Day - panels included:
Super-abilities: sustainability of the arts, culture and collections
Nicole Canham (artistic director/clarinettist, PhD candidate, Queensland University), Clare Cooper (designer/harpist, PhD candidate, Macquarie University), Assoc Prof Melanie Swalwell (ARC Future Fellow, Associate Professor, Department of Screen and Media, Flinders University)
Professional education and the preservation of audio heritage: crisis and opportunity?
Dr. Sigrid McCausland (Senior Lecturer, School of Information Studies, Charles Sturt University), Mick Newnham (Manager, Conservation & Research, National Film and Sound Archive of Australia), Sarah-Jane Rennie (Head, Collections Care, Sydney Living Museums), Bruce Tulloch (Managing Director, Bitscope)
- iPres – International Digital Preservation Conference conference, Melbourne, 2014
- Play It Again - Born Digital and Cultural Heritage Conference, Melbourne, 2014
- Australasian Sound Recordings Association (ASRA) Annual Conference, Canberra, 2013
- 44th International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA) Annual Conference, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2013
- 19th International Symposium on Electronic Art, Sydney, Australia, 2013